2015 Field Trip
We are planning another field trip for Saturday, November 14 at 9:00am at the visitor center in Rocky Mount. Anyone interested please contact us now at email@example.com.
This is likely to be the only field trip this year so sign up soon. Some of you had expressed interest in months past but let us know if you still want to attend now that a date has been set.
The trip starts at 10:00 A.M. on Franklin St. in Rocky Mount. We meet at the visitor’s center, formerly the old train depot of the N&W.
New F&P Web Page
Our new web page is up and running again. It will take some time to put on the finishing touches so bear with us. It will still have the same basic information and new stories will be added in time.
We will still be sending out the “From the Editor” column each month with miscellaneous information about the F&P Railroad.
Documenting the Past
Preserving the history of the F&P has been the main goal of everyone in our group. An on-going effort is still being made to record everything related to the F&P RR. Most of our information has been made public or posted on the web page.
One thing that isn’t generally known to even those who follow our project is the attempt to record all known info about the depots and flag stops along the line.
We have taken measurements and made scale drawings of the four remaining depots and two remaining flag stops including a front, side and end view of each.
For those structures no longer remaining some basic size and construction material was found in the inventory taken in 1932 when the line closed. Photos still remain for even those torn down although details are few. The original Pittsville depot is the only one that eludes a photo or drawing. Some of it was used as the starting structure of the Hunt Store at Pittsville after the F&P closed. Some evidence of it was found incorporated into the store.
That depot was mentioned in some memories by the Rev. Hunt, son and grandson of the family that built and ran the store after the F&P closed. We were fortunate to take many photographs and measurements before it was torn down.
The left side of the Hunt store was once the F&P depot. The store was torn down in 2013.
The floor plan of the depot at Sandy Level.
Anyone wanting to access these photos and drawings can contact us. At some point our extensive file of photos will be made available to the public.
August 25, 1888: The F&P and Pittsville branch were both up-graded to Standard gauge. The process was said to have been done in one day.
August 29, 1922: Newspaper notice that Nat Angle had purchased the F&P plus a new steam engine and an Edwards Motor Car.